The League of Women voters of White Plains hosts a monthly series featuring a local organization that benefits the community, in order to educate residents about the services available to them. In doing so, we hope to encourage our friends and neighbors to become more engaged with their community.
El Centro Hispano was established in 1974 by Isabel Vilar, to fulfill the needs of the growing Hispanic community in White Plains and the surrounding areas for services such as housing and job help, translation, new mothers’ programs, and English classes. After some time, El Centro Hispano starting co-sponsoring an Annual Health Fair, an Emergency Food Bank, and offering conferences to help Hispanic parents. In 2000 El Centro Hispano separated from the White Plains Community Action Program. Since then, El Centro Hispano has expanded its services to include computer classes, workshops in Parenting Development Strategies, a Family Excel Program, accounting classes, ESL for adults, Citizenship classes, an Early Literacy program, and tutorial programs. They also have a homework center and a state-of-the-art Technology Center.
Their Virtuous Mission
To empower Hispanic and other immigrant communities to be self-sufficient and meaningful contributors to the communities in which they live and work.
Their Offerings - Empowering the Hispanic Community and Improving Society
- Educational Programs for children and young adults: K-12 mentoring, tutoring, and other educational support services. Scholarships for high school seniors and college students.
- Adult Educational Programs: English as a second language/ESL, HSE (GED); Citizenship classes; Technology and Work Skill Classes (computer, accounting, Excel, and Quick Books).
- Personal Enrichment and Life Skill Counseling: health fairs; assistance with housing, employment, personal finance, immigration, and legal matters.
- Community Outreach: Bi-weekly job and housing listings; legal services; health insurance services - needs of NYS Department of Health; counseling support; communications with doctors, hospitals, clinics, and social service agencies.
- A results-oriented, data-driven approach: they continuously evaluate their offerings to optimize effectiveness, efficiency, and fulfillment of their virtuous mission.
For more information regarding El Centro Hispano
- Website: https://www.elcentrohispano.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ElCentroHispanoinc/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/centrohispanowp
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/elcentrohispanoinc/
- Office: 346 South Lexington Avenue, Isabel Elsa Villar Boulevard, White Plains, NY 10606
- Phone: 914-289-0500